Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF )
WSPR on 144 MHz - Printable Version

+- Australian Ham Radio Discussion Forum ( AHRDF ) (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum)
+-- Forum: SPECIAL INTERESTS (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-30.html)
+--- Forum: Digital Modes (https://www.ahrdf.net/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: WSPR on 144 MHz (/thread-40.html)

WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 27-09-2016

Good to see stations on 2m WSPR testing the propagation and their stations.
I have no horizontal yagi's up for 2m now for well over a year, so its a bit restrictive being the wrong polarity with severe attenuation of signals.
At present I have set up a way I can monitor 2m WSPR with my vertical yagi array at times, this will be beaming Melbourne. Its tricky on horizontal signals but if you have anything in vertical thats in a good spot its fairly easy for me to hear most areas in VK3 east of the Divide and some other areas.
Hope to have horizontal up soon, all depends on the weather at present as its been very wet.
Im still also running 70cm WSPR horizontal at the same time, usually beaming west.

Map attached of activity from 26th of Sept 2016.

Re: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK3DXE - 27-09-2016

Great to have you back on 2m Leigh.

I'm on 2m WSPR almost 24/7 unless otherwise using the 2m station. I have a fairly reliable radius of 600 - 700km to other reasonably equipped stations under "normal" conditions, with the obvious extension during lifts.

WSPR has demonstrated paths across the Bight to VK6 when we weren't really expecting anything and, just as importantly, DURING THE WINTER MONTHS has helped to show us just how much potential is being missed by those who think VHF+ is a summer only activity. We had a number of big openings across the inland this year, with the band open from Adelaide to the Brisbane area on several occasions. This happens EVERY year, but so much goes to waist because people are stuck in the mindset that the higher bands only "work" in the peak of summer.

I usually keep an eye on both the VKlogger and ON4KST (region 3) chat pages, and even during work hours check in regularly to see what's happening. I also have remote access to the station from anywhere I can get network, but currently don't yet have rotator control.

Re: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 27-09-2016

Excellent report and info from Glenn N6GN via the 2m WSPR google groups page, regarding a tropo opening from Hawaii to mainland USA back at the start of July 2016 -

As many of you may have noticed, the last week has been an active one in regards to the Hawaii to Mainland tropo path. Although this condition seems to occur yearly, sometimes more than once, we have only recently had WSPR stations on both end ready and waiting to show the advantage of the mode compared to CW, SSB and FM that have been used previously.
The very first contact across the path was on 2m in 1957 between W6NLZ in Palos Verdes, CA and KH6UK on Oahu. Since then the path has been spanned on VHF through microwave amateur bands. To help alert everyone to activity, CW beacons on numerous bands have been added on the slopes of Mauna Loa, on the Big Island, at about 8200' ASL. As the duct that occurs generally is stronger and detected earlier at higher elevations, this has been very useful in alerting North American amateurs that something interesting is going on. The call associated with this site is KH6HME.
As we have found for WSPR activity on 2m and above, the Hepburn Tropospheric Forecast pages are very useful.
About a week ago the predictions started looking promising for an opening and this time KH6IMB in Volcan, HI at about 3700' feet was ready with 2m WSPR as were several here in California. If you have been watching the 2m data base lately you may have noticed this first spot
2016-06-30 19:10 N3IZN 144.490549 -27 0 DM13ji 100 KH6IMB BK29jk 4061 257
Unlike some of the wrong-band reports we see in the WSPR database, this one was real and the first one across the path this year. It was followed by many others, including two spots between Chris, N3IZN like this one
2016-07-01 06:44 KH6IMB 144.490491 -8 1 BK29jk 2 N3IZN DM13ji 4061 60
and one-way spots with Gary, WA6MEM, such as this
2016-07-01 03:34 WA6MEM 18.106121 -16 -1 DM03ts 50 KH6IMB BK29jk 3966 256
In this last spot there *is* a band error, it was actually on 2m, Wil, KH6IMB's, WSPR band was out of synch with his radio for a few hours and reported the wrong band.
Although the CW beacons from KH6HME were copiable on several bands for several days here in Northern California, and at N6GN, no WSPR spots resulted even though WA6M who is on a ridge with ocean horizon was transmitting. This time the best duct was south of us.
I asked Wil, KH6IMB, for a .wav file of one of the stronger spots to examine for any signs of spectral spreading. I'm interested in this because I have started on a WSPR/JT65/JT9 beacon project that may replace the CW beacon currently operating at KH6HME on 70cm. More on this as it gets closer to completion.
Attached is a screen shot (No screen shot or wav file attached here sorry). I'm also attaching a .wav file that you can decode with WSPR/WSJT-X and/or listen to on an audio device. If you listen you'll hear what a nice strong CW QSO this could have supported. Of course, the nice thing about WSPR is that it can decode down almost a factor of 1000 lower so can provide a spot well before there's any sign of other modes.
Glenn N6GN

Re: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 01-10-2016

Len VK4ALF is currently offering to monitor 2m WSPR each night for anyone that may be able to run up a few tests towards his address.

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 06-02-2018

ZL stations on the east coast may have an interesting opportunity here to run some tropo tests to the east with ZL7DX on Chatham Island.
A little extra info here http://www.m0oxo.com/1308-zl7dx-chatham-islands-oc-038.html
Im not sure what equipment is being used at present, but will try find out.

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 27-02-2019

Some tropospheric paths yesterday morning on 2m WSPR that really need to be recognised.

Hayden's VK7HH remote site through to Wayne VK6JR @ 2948 km

Alan VK3DXE to Wayne VK6JR @ 2743 km

Well done guys. 

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK7HH - 27-02-2019

Hopefully I can fix this annoying receive problem and have a two way digital contact with Wayne soon.

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK5PJ - 04-03-2019

QRT on 144 MHz WSPR while rebuilding the shack shed after a recent shed fire caused by the battery bank exploding, hope to be on again by June - Peter, vk5pj

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 05-11-2019

Our first long summer season paths beginning last weekend where we saw stations near Sydney with paths across to north island N.Z via Tropospheric Ducting.
There has been no Bight paths yet, but note that there are a number of active stations on the map from VK6 which is great.

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK7HH - 05-11-2019

(05-11-2019, 07:02 AM)VK2KRR Wrote: Our first long summer season paths beginning last weekend where we saw stations near Sydney with paths across to north island N.Z via Tropospheric Ducting.
There has been no Bight paths yet, but note that there are a number of active stations on the map from VK6 which is great.

Good to see a couple in Perth running too

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK3LU - 05-11-2019

Hi Leigh and Hayden,
I was in FNQ recently on holidays. (No gear Angry). Quite often when I looked at Hepburn's website there was ducting along nearly the full length of the Queensland coast... and not a signal on WSPR.
Pity.

Nev

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 06-11-2019

Hi Nev

Yes we see these lots opportunities all the time and feel quite frustrated, particularly the paths that head towards New Zealand. But not only for tropo but there are numerous 2m Sporadic E opportunities during summer for VK4 stations. While we do often have Lloyd VK4FP operating in FNQ on both 6 & 2m WSPR, we could really do with a number of stations scattered along the mid VK4 coast and ranges in particular. 
Recently there has been more active stations on 2m & 6m WSPR at times from Brisbane and areas close by which is really good. Even last night I see VK4MIL hooking up with some of the Sydney stations which is excellent.

So yes, anyone reading this from VK4 we need YOU on 2m & 6m WSPR, particularly in December and January at least, it would help a lot.  Big Grin

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 18-11-2019

Some of the 2m WSPR paths from the past week across the Great Australian Bight.

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK3LU - 18-11-2019

Hi Leigh,
I very often look at the 2m propagation map on Phil vk7jj's site and the thing that strikes me is the almost total lack of WSPR activity in North America and Europe.
I wonder why this is. The distances involved, particularly in N.A. would be a great challenge.

Nev

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 19-11-2019

Hi Nev

At different times of the year you see different amounts of stations on the maps, more so in their summers as you can imagine, particularly on 6m. The VK7JJ site will only show up reported paths, and doesnt show how many stations are on air but not actually been heard or heard anything, but your right, 2m particularly across USA and EU is very lacking.

In European areas, I am aware of some significant reasons why WSPR is not used by a larger amount of people, but I wont comment on it here. This can also have a flow on effect to USA stations on the east coast loosely. All I can say is that it is a great shame when you think about the Atlantic Ocean crossing often talked about.
Across the USA there is often talk of use of APRS as a propagation indicator for 2m tropo & Es. While no doubt this works for strong signals, I have tried it myself and the signal strength required to get it to decode is huge in comparison to a WSPR signal. You also dont need a real good stable radio to make it work either, but having said that, APRS was not designed to detect DX paths so many people running it are not even chasing DX. So the paths not detected and missed by this method, I would not like to think about. 

In Hawaii though there is a 70cm WSPR beacon beaming towards California, which is regularly RXd by Chris N3IZN & some others near-by to Chris which is in excess of 4000 km.

After using WSPR for a while I realise the potential, but having VK6KXW decode my 2m WSPR signal last week @ 2806 km unexpectedly at -29dB and also hear VK5AKK, is pretty incredible and reinforces its ability to find paths at VHF. 
You might wonder, well what can I do with a -29dB signal? If using minimal TX power, say 2 or 5W and have a lot in reserve you should be able to make a contact if you can increase your power by say 6dB or more. If already using say 50W and only have about 90W out of your rig u may not be able to do anything really, except marvel at the possibilities and keep monitoring hope that it gets strong enough to be able to use other modes and maybe get a contact. But now at least I know a path to VK6KXW is a possibility and that this particular path could occur when you are least expecting it.

One thing I would say about WSPR, particularly on 2m and to a lesser extent 6m, is that it works extraordinarily well when you get your set up right, and you have a reasonable grasp on signal propagation techniques and characteristics, but its also very easy to get it wrong, especially for newcomers. 

The hardest thing for most people to achieve is to have their radio's set up to a high precision GPS type reference signal for oscillator stability and accuracy (we see how hard that is when ICOM cant even get it right with their IC9700). So when people start out with a basic radio, they could be no where near the WSPR bandpass and not even know it, so they dont get any decodes obviously and or their TX signal drifts like crazy.
Having said that, some standard rigs do work extraordinarily well when it comes to stability, and one currently is the IC910 rig that Nigel VK6NI is using, with only a hi-stability option crystal, its working perfectly.

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK7HH - 19-11-2019

(19-11-2019, 11:17 AM)VK2KRR Wrote: Hi Nev

At different times of the year you see different amounts of stations on the maps, more so in their summers as you can imagine, particularly on 6m. The VK7JJ site will only show up reported paths, and doesnt show how many stations are on air but not actually been heard or heard anything, but your right, 2m particularly across USA and EU is very lacking.

In European areas, I am aware of some significant reasons why WSPR is not used by a larger amount of people, but I wont comment on it here. This can also have a flow on effect to USA stations on the east coast loosely. All I can say is that it is a great shame when you think about the Atlantic Ocean crossing often talked about.
Across the USA there is often talk of use of APRS as a propagation indicator for 2m tropo & Es. While no doubt this works for strong signals, I have tried it myself and the signal strength required to get it to decode is huge in comparison to a WSPR signal. 

This is true. APRS runs on FM and requires full quieting to decode. The other issue is paths can't be easily determined via aprs.fi as they always reach the quickest way to the internet - and not via RF. If you have a radio listening on the RF channel and can take the time to view the paths then you can determine where it has come from.

You also dont need a real good stable radio to make it work either, but having said that, APRS was not designed to detect DX paths so many people running it are not even chasing DX. So the paths not detected and missed by this method, I would not like to think about. 

In Hawaii though there is a 70cm WSPR beacon beaming towards California, which is regularly RXd by Chris N3IZN & some others near-by to Chris which is in excess of 4000 km.

Still amazes me that not many more stations along the West coast exploit this path.

After using WSPR for a while I realise the potential, but having VK6KXW decode my 2m WSPR signal last week @ 2806 km unexpectedly at -29dB and also hear VK5AKK, is pretty incredible and reinforces its ability to find paths at VHF. 

Not only find paths, but monitor the path SNR as it increases to the point for digital contacts or voice.

You might wonder, well what can I do with a -29dB signal? If using minimal TX power, say 2 or 5W and have a lot in reserve you should be able to make a contact if you can increase your power by say 6dB or more. If already using say 50W and only have about 90W out of your rig u may not be able to do anything really, except marvel at the possibilities and keep monitoring hope that it gets strong enough to be able to use other modes and maybe get a contact. But now at least I know a path to VK6KXW is a possibility and that this particular path could occur when you are least expecting it.

As I commented above

One thing I would say about WSPR, particularly on 2m and to a lesser extent 6m, is that it works extraordinarily well when you get your set up right, and you have a reasonable grasp on signal propagation techniques and characteristics, but its also very easy to get it wrong, especially for newcomers. 

It's also set and forget in most cases in regards to setup. Checking your results regularly (or getting WSPRView to email you) can result in finding contacts that nobody would know about. An example is of a path to VK4 on Sporadic E earlier this year I would've completely missed had I not been running 6m WSPR. Video at the bottom of this post.

The hardest thing for most people to achieve is to have their radio's set up to a high precision GPS type reference signal for oscillator stability and accuracy (we see how hard that is when ICOM cant even get it right with their IC9700). So when people start out with a basic radio, they could be no where near the WSPR bandpass and not even know it, so they dont get any decodes obviously and or their TX signal drifts like crazy.
Having said that, some standard rigs do work extraordinarily well when it comes to stability, and one currently is the IC910 rig that Nigel VK6NI is using, with only a hi-stability option crystal, its working perfectly.

Solutions for the 9700 are coming thick and fast, some easier than others so it's never been easier to try it out.

Comments above in bold in response to Leigh.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgCyDPtFsvQ]

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK3RX - 20-11-2019

(19-11-2019, 11:17 AM)VK2KRR Wrote: In European areas, I am aware of some significant reasons why WSPR is not used by a larger amount of people, but I wont comment on it here.

OK, now you have me intrigued Smile

Please point me to a URL or somewhere I can find out more ....

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK2KRR - 20-11-2019

Like I said I dont wish to comment about it, I dont think there is any public info online in regards to that. I have had correspondence via email with certain people is all.

RE: WSPR on 144 MHz - VK3LU - 21-11-2019

Hi Leigh, Hayden and Damien.
I wonder if it has something to do with beacons.
With regards to stability...
I bought an FT817 to use on HF WSPR as it is a low power using device. It works well. Then I tried it on 2m and found it was nearly 100hz out and rather drifty. I then bought a Chinese TCXO-9 and installed it. ( actually I bought two, just in case ! ) That made a big improvement; from a cold start it is approx. 40 hz high then as the rig warms up it drifts down and stabilises at about 4hz high.
I can live with that, given the price of the rig. Interestingly it is within 1hz on 40m...not bad.
On 2m I use the GPS locked Mt Anakie beacon as a reference. On HF I rely on reports from GPS locked stations.

Nev

Edit. At the moment it is right on freq. I use Spectran to check the audio freqency as I have been told it is quite accurate.

Nev