Proposed changes to amateur licence conditions
Received an alert from the ACMA re this:

https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/proposed...conditions
I suspect that I will have to print out the proposals to crosscheck against the current LCD, and maybe write up a submission but WOW !

There are a few things not actually covered in that, probably the most obvious one to me at the moment being the recognition of overseas body issued qualifications and equivalency to an Australian licence is not addressed.   I am not talking about the 90 day visitor reciprocal arrangement here but someone who wants a permanent VK (or other prefix ?) callsign. The last I heard was that ACMA is holding off pending a 'review' and if this isn't a review, what is it ? Opportunity is knocking..

The issue of 3.6GHz - well we are going to lose that to the likes of 5G anyway. Sooner or later. No contest against the commercial pressures. 

Foundations & digital access - has to happen to engage many of the younger folk entering the hobby.
Power levels - a bit higher but not sure about 400 watts PEP. Maybe this will become clearer when I re-read it.
Some of the other 'suggestions' need a re-read too. Too much to take in on a first read.

It seems that yet again the ACMA is devolving away from AR more than I would expect but maybe that is good for the future health of the hobby. Maybe not too.

Time will tell but 'they' have probably already made up their mind.
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51
http://www.vk4adc.com

This Forum is only going to be as interesting as the posts it contains. 
If you have a comment or question, post it as it may trigger or answer the query in someone else's mind.
Wow! A few things i didn't expect from the ACMA. I hope i've read correctly on some of the proposals.

The issue of foundation call signs:-

"RASA proposes that the QAA–QZZ series be use for Foundation licensees who wish to use data modes, while allowing licensees to retain their existing call sign if they so choose."

I have no issue at all on whatever they propose as long as its a 6 letter call. The option is a nice touch.

The issue of foundation bands:-

Didnt expect this idea.

"The ACMA considers that allowing Foundation, Standard and Advanced licensees to use all existing Amateur frequency bands is unlikely to significantly increase the risk of congestion or interference. We consider that this would enable greater scope for experimentation and skills development by amateur licensees."

Are the ACMA hinting at A 1 class license?
Give the foundation 20 metres, 6 metres, and maybe a few of the lesser used bands to try and populate them, and why not a few higher bands.

The issue of foundation and standard power:-

The ACMA mention the WIA's proposal for 50 watts for foundation and 200 watts for standard, but then up the ante with this!

"The ACMA considers that allowing all licensees using any amateur station to use 400 watts peak envelope power, the same limit as currently applies to Advanced licensees, is unlikely to significantly increase the risk of congestion or interference. We consider that such a change would be consistent with the spectrum management principles, as it reduces restrictions on Foundation and Standard licensees."

Again another hint at maybe an single license regime?
My thoughts, 100 watts for foundation and 200 watts or more for standard. 95% of HF radios you can buy over the counter are 100 watt boxes, in 1 swoop there goes the common complaint of F calls using more power. Standards I personally feel should have the same power limits as full call, only bands should be the difference between the 2 classes.
400 watts for F calls isn't necessary.

There are quite a few other proposals, I highly recommend having a read, some of the stuff ACMA mention is a real surprise.

I've held off upgrading my license for some years now waiting on this license change. I didnt want to spend a heap of money only to find they changed the F call to what i consider useful. These proposals are better than i ever expected, I have no illusion though that anything like what they propose will eventuate.
Steve VK4SMJ
I have only had a quick read but some of the proposed changes are certainly startling to say the least!   As I see it there will be very little difference between the three classes of license so will there be a need for three, or will there only be one as the previous poster suggests (as in ZL)?

Wayne VK4WDM
I don't see that either the WIA or RASA have proposed changing the three classes of licence to one. The ACMA just made the comment that allowing all classes to have access to all amateur service frequencies (which neither the WIA or RASA proposed) would "muddy the waters" between the different classes of licence:

Quote:However, we understand that this would have the effect of reducing differentiation between the Foundation, Standard and Advanced licence levels.

As there appears to be widespread support to retain the hierarchical licence level structure, the ACMA is consulting on this change to assist in ACMA decision-making. The ACMA invites comment on allowing Foundation, Standard and Advanced licensees to use all frequency bands allocated to the Amateur service.

Quote:I've held off upgrading my license for some years now waiting on this license change. I didnt want to spend a heap of money only to find they changed the F call to what i consider useful.

Perhaps you shouldn't have held off ... an upgrade via the AMC will now cost considerably more than when the WIA managed examinations Smile
I've only read the comments in this forum and skimmed through the consultation paper.  I'm wondering if or how this might affect any reciprocal licensing with other countries?

If I interpret the above correctly, my own thoughts are might as well do away with amateur licences altogether and make it a class licence, as that's what it is becoming.  Maybe even invite our CB brothers & sisters to the bands as well in a future phase.  ?
Reminds me of a poem:

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
In accents most forlorn,
Outside the church, ere Mass began
One frosty Sunday morn."

But it is fun doing some bush lawyering, so here's my 2 bob's worth.

Apart from the loss of some of the 3.6 GHz band, it all looks positive to me.  Why, oh why, does every contributor from the amateur community to forums and the like as always seem the believe that the sky is falling?:
-  The ACMA says that the three tiered system is preferred by the amateur community and it has no qualms with that.  Tick.
-  Additional privileges for Foundation and Standard licencees, even some that weren't requested.  After the hue and cry about additional privileges for F calls that has gone on for years, I would call this a win - Tick.
-  Possible 6 character calls for F-calls (to go along with the digital permissions).  Tick.
-  Removal or relaxation of the 'commercial equipment only' restriction on F-Calls.  Tick
-  The ACMA affirmed the goals of experimentation and hobby use.  Tick.

Pretty positive outcomes to me.

But then again:
"While round the church in clothes genteel
Discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed his piece of bark.

"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
There will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out.""

Edit to added attribution for the poem:

John O.Brien "Said Hanrahan".
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/39721083
Colin
Barossa Valley, SAP. PF95ln
(aka VK5CSW)
Hi Colin

I agree with you. I don't really see any negatives with these proposals at all provided the license structure is maintained and others have corrected my earlier incorrect view on that.

A major challenge is going to be updating the foundation license syllabus and exam to reflect the changes without making the qualification too difficult to attain.

I don't agree with the previous poster's worry about "dumbing down" to a CB type class license. The ACMA is bound by ITU rules to ensure that the international regulations for the amateur radio service are adhered to.

Wayne VK4WDM
Hello Colin & Wayne,

I think I may have been misread/misinterpreted.  I don't think I ever said or intimated I was worried or predicted the sky would fall in...???

Firstly I wondered what affect it might have on reciprocal licensing.  The second point was there appears such little differentiation between licence classes in the consultation paper, why would anyone bother continuing with the bureaucracy of three licence classes, when all that separates them is most cases is a title - A bit like flat whites, lattes and cappuccinos.

We all know or have heard of F calls who exploit the loopholes as things have stood; Operating an Advanced club callsign from home on 20M, operating on DMR as an LIPD, buying linear amplifiers and others.  Quite correctly the sky hasn't fallen in from any of this.

As for updating the Foundation syllabus to reflect any changes, I wouldn't think it would take too much to just change the title of the current Standard syllabus, as we streamline things and make it easy on everyone.

It will be interesting to see how many Foundation and Standard licence holders hold off upgrading as there is little incentive to progress and increase knowledge and instead of acting as a stepping stone as it was originally intended it becomes an end point. Next interesting observation will be how many completely new licencees it might attract and/or if equipment sales increase...?
To be honest I don't see any issue with reciprocal rights.  The changes to the legislation and instruments need to reflect other legislative requirements and ITU requirements, so reciprocal rights wont change (and for the most part the rights only apply to advanced class licence holders as it its the CEPT applicable licence).  From the doc:

With respect to amateur licensing, the role of the ACMA is to:
ensure that licensing arrangements continue to reflect Australia’s obligations under Article 25.6 of the ITU Radio Regulations and comply with relevant Australian legislation

I would suggest that overseas visitors would be covered by the above - I have no idea if foundation and standard have an equivalent but the relaxation of the criteria would serve to make it easier for O/S licencees to comply.

I think thse motherhood staements from ACMA are actually positive:

The changes proposed in this paper are consistent with the Principles for the following reasons:
- removing unnecessary restrictions on amateur licensees and ensuring continued access to spectrum will use the least cost and least restrictive approach to meet our regulatory role
- simplifying the amateur licensing regime and allowing all licensees greater flexibility in using frequency bands, emission modes and equipment, will promote both certainty and flexibility
- maintaining the existing conditions of the Amateur LCD and the Overseas Class Licence relating to interference management will adequately balance the cost of interference, while allowing amateur licensees to better utilise allocated frequency bands. 

The changes reflected in the draft omnibus instrument amend the Amateur LCD and the Overseas Class Licence to:
- allow the use of digital transmission modes
- remove the restriction on emission modes for Foundation licensees
-allow Foundation licensees to use non-commercially manufactured equipment and internet-connected repeater systems
- relax the permitted bandwidths for all licensees
- clarify definitions.
- specify that an amateur station must not be operated in the 3575–3600 MHz band within the designated areas after the day occurring before the end of the relevant reallocation period.
- update the list of permitted amateur frequencies to subject the use of the 3575–3600 MHz band to that same limitation.
define the designated areas and commencement dates for the 3575–3600 MHz band by referring to the relevant reallocation declaration.

The sky is falling was in reference to general commentary on this matter (and pretty much any other type of change Smile ) both here and elsewhere.

Of course if a person's default position is "We'll all be rooned" then any change can be seen as a terrifying boogey man even without reading and considering the matter at hand.

Now where's that cheese gone?
Colin
Barossa Valley, SAP. PF95ln
(aka VK5CSW)
The time to start contemplating your response to these documents is NOW.  Otherwise the time will evaporate and your opportunity will vanish.

The closing date is just over a month away and it is desirable that your submission arrives early rather than just-on-time or late. 

"Proposed changes to amateur licence conditions

Consultation closes: 09 August 2019

Executive summary
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has conducted a review of licence conditions that apply to amateur radio operators with Foundation, Standard and Advanced level qualifications. 

The amateur service is a longstanding user of the radiofrequency spectrum, with a range of bands made available for qualified amateurs. It is designed primarily to facilitate hobby radiocommunications and technical experimentation. 

In the [i]Draft five-year spectrum outlook 2019–23 [/i](the draft FYSO), the ACMA indicated it would commence consultation on potential changes to amateur licensing conditions by June 2019. 

Our review considered various requests for changes to licence conditions in submissions made by amateur peak bodies—the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) and the Radio Amateur Society of Australia (RASA). 

The ACMA is also taking the opportunity to propose amendments to the Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Determination 2015 and Radiocommunications (Overseas Amateurs Visiting Australia) Class Licence 2015 to remove amateur advanced licensees’ access to the 3575–3600 MHz band within areas reallocated for spectrum licensing. The purpose of these changes is to prevent cancellation of advanced amateur licences that would otherwise occur as a result of the reallocation of the 3575–3700 MHz band (the 3.6 GHz band) for spectrum licences. 

This paper sets out the following proposals for public consideration:

• proposed changes to amateur licence conditions that are reflected in the draft omnibus instrument. These are:
    • changes requested by the amateur community that will account for technological changes, reduce restrictions and increase flexibility for licensees
    • removal of amateur advanced licensees’ access to the 3575–3600 MHz band within areas reallocated for spectrum licensing by the relevant dates
  • changes requested by the amateur community that the ACMA considers desirable for the medium term and is seeking feedback on
  • additional proposals for change that we have identified for the medium term to longer term aimed at reducing the overall regulatory burden of amateur licensing arrangements.

[*]Issue for comment
[*]The ACMA is seeking submissions from interested stakeholders on the proposals set out in this paper. 

Comments are invited on:

• the proposed changes reflected in the draft Radiocommunications Licence Conditions (Amateur Licence) Omnibus Amendment Instrument 2019 (No.1) and written notice 
  • other changes for possible inclusion in a future amendment instrument
  • any other issues relevant to amateur licence conditions and licensing arrangements, including opportunities that would reduce regulatory burden on licensees while not detracting from other legitimate uses of the relevant spectrum.
[*]"
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51

If you have a comment or question, post it as it may trigger or answer the query in someone else's mind.
BUMP :

Time to get keys to keyboard and submit your thoughts.
Less than a month away now and we all know how time flies !
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51

BUMP again.  It is important that your views are submitted to the ACMA before the closing date.

Do it this weekend... Fingers to keyboard.
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51

(19-07-2019, 03:47 PM)VK4ADC Wrote: BUMP again.  It is important that your views are submitted to the ACMA before the closing date.

Do it this weekend... Fingers to keyboard.

I am writing a submission but I need advice on the following:  I believe that the HF, VHF and UHF band allocations for the foundation license should stay as they are, but given that we are trying to attract youthful techies who are involved in robotics and the like, it is probably essential that they have access to some microwave bands, but which bands?

Wayne VK4WDM
Wayne

Contemplate which bands that gear can be bought for as 'ready to use'. That includes 23cm (1.3 GHz), probably 13cm (2.4 GHz), not so much 9cm (3.4), 6cm (5.7) or 3cm (10.3 GHz). 

While it is possible that some of the FLs would have microwave-relate-able  skills, do we need to limit them to those bands and not be able to self-assemble or self-build ?

Then again re-check the microwave bands Standards currently have access to - if you haven't already.

Personally, it is hard to decide what to support / recommend for FLs in terms of bands and powers although a lift from 10 watts is definitely desirable.  Ditto the same for Standards as far as bands are concerned.

Then again, do we still want the 3 levels or just have 2 levels : FLs as intro level and a single level that 'grandfathers' Standard into an Advanced class ? I have seen quite a few WIA Standard and Advanced exam papers over the years as an Assessor for them and there really isn't a lot of depth difference between them - although I haven't seen the newer AMC papers (and am not likely to).

I do want to see FLs get into digital modes though as I think that is probably one of the best ways to encourage more activities in the younger generation(s) - those more interested in digital exchanges.

I still have to do my "fingers-to-keyboard" but have given it some thought already. I have yet to print out some of the documents so that I can compare section by section to the current LCD, and that needs to be done first just to see the overall effects of what has been suggested. Good task to get underway this weekend.

My 2.2 cents..
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51

FINAL BUMP :

Only a few days to get your submission into the ACMA now.

You have the opportunity to put your thoughts into the system so don't complain about the outcome if you don't act now.
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51

G'day all,

I have just been perusing the WIA's response to the proposed licence changes. Not too bad. It's a .PDF so be aware.

WIA proposal, WIA proposal 2

The call sign change was a pleasant surprise, I had never thought of doing it that way. Would solve all the issues in 1 swoop.
Steve VK4SMJ
WOW.. after all that, sweet bugger all. What a non event this all turned out to be. F calls got what should have been part of the license since inception.

The hordes will be stampeding to become amateurs now.
Steve VK4SMJ
WIA: Changes made to amateur licence conditions
The word that springs to my mind is "underwhelming."  I was expecting the most exciting shake up and modernization of AR in its history Sad I seems that the ACMA has only made a fraction of the changes that they proposed and many of those were supported by the AR community.  Confused

The changes to the foundation license are welcome, but nothing has been done about the major issue which is the ridiculous low power limit.  10w might be OK in the UK, where the idea of a FL came from, but with the size of Australia it is just stupid. The use of the more efficient digital modes will make a difference, but 10w is still stupid. I don't see anything about getting rid of the four-letter suffix which is going stop the use of digital modes anyway.

I cannot see why the standard license has been retained. The ACMA wants to cut down on the "administrative burden." Reducing the number of license classes to two would help with that, and we still have the silly situation of different 6m segments for standard and advanced.

Wayne VK4WDM