Drew Diamond "Simple Superhet RX"
Hi all
I wonder if any of you Aussies can help this poor old POME?
I have just built Drew Diamond VK3XU's "Simple Superhet Receiver for 80 and 40m", and guess what, it don't work. Well, mine doesn't anyway! Angry 
So if anyone is familiar with this rig I would appreciate some help .
As this is my first post, I better introduce myself.  Name is Pete,  oldish (74) with pacemaker (keep away from microwaves!) and a radio therapy shrivelled prostate.  But not old enough yet to consider buying more than one carton of milk too risky!  I spent time as radio operator in the RN, and worked with you guys down there in exercises, and visited Freemantle, HMS Eagle 1960's.
Anyway, back to business.  The above rig is featured in the G-QRP publication Radio Projects for the Radio Amateur vol 4 by Drew Diamond VK3XU.  I have checked my wiring and soldering, positioning of components multiple times, and all seems ok but i don't appear to be receiving any signals, (yes the antenna is connected), only local noise, fridge, heating etc.  Have tried it with battery and still the same.
The input filtering is via 4 x 2mHz xtals, Drew recommends sorting them into two pairs of 1.999mHz and 2.001mHz.  Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to do that, so I just put them in circuit as they came.  Somebody more knowledgeable than me suggested that therein may lie the problem.  I have taken some readings with and without the RF probe and multimeter, (my total test equipment).
I thought maybe one of the IC's may be duff.  The readings are as follows:
IC1 NE602 mixer:  pin 5 4.8v with meter and probe.
IC2 NE602 Prod det. after the xtals both 4.6v with probe and meter.
Hope that may say something to someone,  maybe an alternative input filter may be better?
So, thanks for reading this, if anyone not familiar with this rig I will try and figure out how to send it as an attachment.
73's
Peter

Messages In This Thread
Drew Diamond "Simple Superhet RX" - by G0JJI - 31-07-2017, 01:05 AM
RE: Drew Diamond "Simple Superhet RX" - by VK3ALB - 31-07-2017, 09:09 AM
RE: Drew Diamond "Simple Superhet RX" - by G0JJI - 31-07-2017, 06:14 PM
RE: Drew Diamond "Simple Superhet RX" - by VK3YCQ - 31-07-2017, 12:20 PM
RE: Drew Diamond "Simple Superhet RX" - by VK3ALB - 31-07-2017, 11:20 PM
RE: Drew Diamond "Simple Superhet RX" - by G0JJI - 02-08-2017, 07:29 AM