Icom fuseholder fault
During the JMMFD over the weekend, I encountered an unusual fault : the Icom 7400 went dead when I was transmitting. The AC power supply was still on and producing 13.8V so it was a bit intriguing.

When I moved the DC power lead to the back of the radio, power returned.  The fuseholder for the positive supply was quite hot so I opened up the clam-shell holder and discovered that the incoming wires are simply crimped. Using a screwdriver from the actual copper conductor to the fuse end connector returned the DC power.

I took the power lead off, soldered the previously-just-crimped connection and the radio ran faultlessly for the remainder of the event and was producing a higher RF transmit power than earlier. The fuseholder was also quite cool, even with high duty cycle transmit.

If you have the Icom-supplied power leads with the in-line fuseholders shown in the image below, take a few minutes to solder each crimp connection - it might save you a lot of aggravation.

The fuseholders in the 6 pin power lead - the partially-visible clamp-on ferrite is my addition

Solder each end where the crimps are. Red arrows indicate approx positions.
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51
http://www.vk4adc.com

This Forum is only going to be as interesting as the posts it contains. 
If you have a comment or question, post it as it may trigger or answer the query in someone else's mind.

Messages In This Thread
Icom fuseholder fault - by VK4ADC - 18-03-2019, 09:00 AM
RE: Icom fuseholder fault - by VK6RO - 18-03-2019, 11:23 PM