SDR play and AIRSPY sdr...how do they compare?
Nev

I use the AirSpy software with an RTL2832U/R820T2 USB dongle, and have tried a few other packages too (SDR# in different releases, etc) and I use mine on 6M at times, and on HF with a little up-converter PCB I built a couple of years ago.  It has an active mixer plus SMD TCXO plus LPF input and HPF output sections that takes freqs between near-DC and 60MHz and converts them up to 100-160MHz. I don't use it as a general all-purpose receiver but more as a spectrum-analyser tool to check for spurious transmitters and interference sources.  I don't think I ever put that project on my web site, one of many unpublished recent-ish projects.

I haven't had any direct experience with either brand hardware SDRs but did note the gap 30-60MHZ on the AirSpy HF+ specs. I assume the prices on their web sites are $US so that makes them 1/3 more expensive here, plus shipping costs.  In comparison, my RTL dongle cost me about $AUD15 in my door from an Australian source a couple of years ago but the costs have gone up such that they are now $30-$40.  Still a lot less than the two brands you quoted.

Check on eBay with a search term such as 'RTL2832U'.
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51
http://www.vk4adc.com

This Forum is only going to be as interesting as the posts it contains. 
If you have a comment or question, post it as it may trigger or answer the query in someone else's mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: SDR play and AIRSPY sdr...how do they compare? - by VK4ADC - 16-02-2021, 12:41 PM