Anzac Day thoughts
Hi Doug

Your grandfather was on one of the first boats to land at Gallipoli but my other half's grandfather was on one of the last to leave.

From a letter of his published in the newspaper (obtained via from Trove)

"
L-Cpl. J. Satinover, 16th Battalion, writes: "We were all sorry to have to leave the peninsula after so much hard fighting and work, but I expect it was for the best.
There were 20 of us left behind to cover the retirement, and this was considered to be a post of honor. Everything was carried out splendidly. Near the end about 20 of us had to defend about half a mile of country, but the Turks didn't attack. I had to stand nine hours in the trenches in one stretch to keep watch, and then we set off for the boat. .Our company was on the extreme left, and we had some distance to go so you can Imagine I was well knocked up when we got to the boat. We got a fine reception when we got back to the boys. Two bands played us to the camp, and we got a great cheer. We have just been paid, and it will be very handy, as I was broke."
A later note:-"To-day is Christmas Day. We all received our billies, and were quite delighted with them. Mine came--from S.A. We got paid yesterday-the privates £3 and the N.C.O.'s £6. We all clubbed together, and bought different things, and are going to have a great *bust-up' for dinner."
"

He was later transferred to the 48th Battalion, was wounded in France and finished up as a German POW.

I suspect that he was probably involved going up and down the trench reloading the water can triggered rifles so as to create the illusion of more being present than was actually the case.

It is a small world.

Igor
vk6zfg

Messages In This Thread
Anzac Day thoughts - by VK4ADC - 25-04-2022, 06:39 AM
RE: Anzac Day thoughts - by VK2CSW - 25-04-2022, 07:47 AM
RE: Anzac Day thoughts - by VK6ZFG - 25-04-2022, 11:57 AM