New laptop for AR use?
Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply, Peter.

My thoughts with the laptop were to dedicate it for AR, and therefore avoid any conflicts or setup issues with other non-AR software. I take on board your recommendation re an external monitor and the potential issue with USB ports.

I have a desktop tower running Win 7 (!) which still serves my needs for email, internet and a wide range of software. The problem with upgrading it is either much of my existing software may not run under Win 11, and while in most cases later versions are available, at least some of the software packages now require an annual subscription with no option to purchase outright.

I have run AR software on the desktop in the past and run into audio issues, having set AR software up to run then found some conventional software no longer working and needing to switch settings back an forth.  

An update to the desktop will have to happen in time and the performance that involves getting up and running again, but is something I'm trying to avoid just now Smile

Yes, I've always used an external mouse with laptops for the reason you say with track pads.

Lenovo and HP I will look into. We used to have HP laptops and desktops at the government organization I worked at, but for some reason they changed over to Dell systems. It was probably a $ decision rather than compatibility issues.

Messages In This Thread
New laptop for AR use? - by VK3RX - 12-05-2023, 07:05 PM
RE: New laptop for AR use? - by VK5TM - 12-05-2023, 09:36 PM
RE: New laptop for AR use? - by VK3RX - 13-05-2023, 09:29 AM
RE: New laptop for AR use? - by VK5PJ - 13-05-2023, 01:50 PM
RE: New laptop for AR use? - by VK3RX - 14-05-2023, 01:37 PM
RE: New laptop for AR use? - by VK5PJ - 14-05-2023, 04:27 PM