ACMA update re class licensing
"
Thus, it seems to me that to now try to put power limits on Advanced license holders via Scientific Apparatus License arrangements is misplaced. I suggest that it would be much better to work with the amateur radio community to improve the understanding of electromagnetic radiation/emission (EMR/EME) standards and to provide the means to properly assess compliance.

Accordingly, there should be a self-assessment process that can be verified by qualified amateurs. Also, proper records need to be kept when operating higher power.

Maybe EMR compliance could be carried under the auspices of radio clubs, with a small donation made for such a service.

Andrew Martin VK3OE, VK3OER
"

Back a few years, about 2017 I think, after the high power approach as was rejected by the ACMA, there was a concerted effort by the WIA though clubs to educate the "everyday amateur" about the facts of EME (/EMR) and how to go about the assessment process. The idea was to educate the many so that safety / ARPANSA requirements were generally known.  (I know about it because I was approached to do some education on it at the time, and did in fact do a presentation to a large-ish group.)

The problem is that that the education was not followed on by more of the same presentations over the intervening years to ensure that newcomers to the hobby received current advice re EME, and older licensees reminded about their responsibilities. It seems that "we have done that already, now let's forget about it from now on" was the mindset of the WIA and clubs.  And still is. Thus it is not surprising that the blanket high power approach for the Class Licence was again rejected in favour of directing would-be's to a Scientiic Licence, and ensuring that those granted possessed the EME knowledge required.

There might be some radio clubs that have members who possess the skills and knowedge to do EME assessments but there are probably many who do not.  Charging fees should not be involved, the clubs should undertake it for free as a service to all  i.e.any amateur.

Uphill battle..

My 2cents

Doug VK4ADC
Doug VK4ADC @ QG62LG51
http://www.vk4adc.com

This Forum is only going to be as interesting as the posts it contains. 
If you have a comment or question, post it as it may trigger or answer the query in someone else's mind.

Messages In This Thread
ACMA update re class licensing - by VK4ADC - 25-05-2023, 05:40 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK3BA - 25-05-2023, 08:17 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK3RX - 26-05-2023, 01:07 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK2ZRH/4 - 26-05-2023, 03:36 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK5TM - 29-08-2023, 04:21 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK3OE - 10-09-2023, 12:11 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK8AW - 12-10-2023, 01:03 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK4ADC - 10-09-2023, 04:42 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK6OX - 31-10-2023, 07:25 PM