ACMA update re class licensing
(10-09-2023, 12:11 PM)VK3OE Wrote:
(29-08-2023, 04:21 PM)VK5TM Wrote: Well, for better or worse, the new Class License comes in to force on the 1st Feb 2024

Todays email info links to various documents here https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/20...-framework

An interesting mention of "no cost for examinations administered by an accredited examiner" amongst that lot (which is just as well, the ACMA cost to do exams ranges up to $429).
A comment on the ACMA proposals, maybe to be accepted to be published in AR, with a little help from "the editor".

After reading the latest correspondence from the ACMA, and the proposed amendments to the Scientific Apparatus Licence for amateur radio higher-power use, a few issues stand out.

From VK amateurs’ personal listings on QRZ.com, it is very evident that many operators already have, and routinely use, high power amplifiers that exceed the permitted amateur license conditions without any EMR or interference issues. This has been the case for many years.

The advances in the technical quality of commercial transceivers and amplifiers have largely overcome issues with transmitting harmonics and spurious emissions.

Thus, it seems to me that to now try to put power limits on Advanced license holders via Scientific Apparatus License arrangements is misplaced. I suggest that it would be much better to work with the amateur radio community to improve the understanding of electromagnetic radiation/emission (EMR/EME) standards and to provide the means to properly assess compliance.

Accordingly, there should be a self-assessment process that can be verified by qualified amateurs. Also, proper records need to be kept when operating higher power.

Maybe EMR compliance could be carried under the auspices of radio clubs, with a small donation made for such a service.

Andrew Martin VK3OE, VK3OER

What can i say.

Over the past 40 years i have visited and seen many amateur shacks in VK2/3/4 & 8 areas. And every single shack had a PA that was capable of more than what is allowed. This is not a problem. The problem is compliance and that is how the ACMA works and good luck changing it.

The ACMA has an avenue to obtain a QRO permit but again, laziness or the 'I will wait until the ACMA just gives it to us' approach seems to be the norm.

I obtained my 1st QRO permit in 2004 and then successfully had it increased a few years later. 10 pages of details and technical info with $41 was all that was required for submission, assessment and approval.

There are the have's and have not's amateurs. Those that have, get harassed and belittled by the have not's which is why approved QRO operators don't talk about it.

That's how the hobby is because of differing attitudes.

If you whinge and do nothing, then that burden is only upon yourself.

cheers
Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW

Messages In This Thread
ACMA update re class licensing - by VK4ADC - 25-05-2023, 05:40 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK3BA - 25-05-2023, 08:17 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK3RX - 26-05-2023, 01:07 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK2ZRH/4 - 26-05-2023, 03:36 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK5TM - 29-08-2023, 04:21 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK3OE - 10-09-2023, 12:11 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK8AW - 12-10-2023, 01:03 PM
RE: ACMA update re class licensing - by VK4ADC - 10-09-2023, 04:42 PM