Wiring a microphone for handheld
G'day from a new member. Full disclosure: I'm not a ham, but since a kid I've played around with AM CB (was once the highest base station in the state), was into scanning - mainly airband and police when it was open FM.  These days it's mainly UHF CB.  I thought I'd ask my question here, as I can't find anything on the internet to help me and I don't know where else to turn.

I'm hoping to get a little help making a motorbike helmet headset for a GME Electrophone UHF CB handheld.  I have previously used one of those from Aliexpress (pic attached), which worked well, but is not exactly what I'm after. Firstly, it uses speakers, which I would like to replace with Plugphones, for combined communications and ear protection. Secondly, the connectors used are too robust - I had a little moment that tugged too hard on the connector to the handlebar-mounted PTT button and ripped the cable out of the back of the connector.
The plugphones I can plug straight into the radio, but I would like to construct a flying lead that allows me to connect a helmet-mounted microphone and handlebar-mounted PTT to the MIC input, using standard 2.5mm plug and socket that will simply fail safe via pulling apart in the event I become separated from the motorbike.  I can work everything else out apart from the microphone. The headset I used before had no problem with audio volume, but wiring up my own using an electret microphone from Jaycar, or a lapel-style microphone from eBay has almost no volume.  What microphone can I use to be compatible with what the radio is looking for? Or is there a passive circuit I need to construct to get the electret to work correctly?  The microphone from the Aliexpress unit seems to just be a microphone interrupted by a PTT switch. I thought about reusing this mic, but the wires are tiny, enamelled ones that are so hard and fragile to work with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Wiring a microphone for handheld - by SWL-VK5009 - 07-04-2024, 07:53 PM
RE: Wiring a microphone for handheld - by VK4ADC - 08-04-2024, 03:13 PM
RE: Wiring a microphone for handheld - by VK4ADC - 09-04-2024, 02:29 PM
RE: Wiring a microphone for handheld - by VK4ADC - 09-04-2024, 09:10 PM
RE: Wiring a microphone for handheld - by VK2CSW - 15-04-2024, 07:47 PM