Interfacing a mixing console to a radio
Hello Gurus,

I have been playing around with interfacing a small mixing console (Behringer Q502USB) with my bench radio (Yaesu FT-857D).

There are a couple of reasons I am thinking of doing this. Firstly the microphones I want to use are all low Z stage mics so I need a "z transformer" to overcome the 20dB difference in output between a low Z microphone and a hi z microphone. 

Next is that after over 40 years competitive shooting, about 30 years teaching diving and 40 odd years in and around the music industry my ears ain't what they used to be and some EQ on the headphones and shack speakers wouldn't go astray.

And of course, the main reason is the console and microphones (and all the bibs and bobs for it) are within reach and sitting idle...

The main out from a console is generally said to be around 22dBu, which is way too high for a microphone input.

My plan is to place a 600Ω:600Ω isolation transformer followed by some sort of resistance between main out and mic in.

In my feeble mind I thought that a 1kΩ log variable resistor across the transformer output might do the job. However, I also have had thoughts about doing a voltage divider with a series resistor before the variable resistor. Only I have no ideas on what would be some starting values for the said resistors.

The transformer and resistor/s will be installed into the box on the desktop that already has the 1/4" microphone jack and PTT switch. (Although I just got a router so a new box may be in the offing).

Has anyone done this?

Any ideas what the divider network values might need to be as a starting point?
Colin
Barossa Valley, SAP. PF95ln
(aka VK5CSW)

Messages In This Thread
Interfacing a mixing console to a radio - by VK2CSW - 15-09-2024, 07:41 AM