FT817nd acc socket 12v...current limit?
Does anyone know the maximum current that I can pull from the 12v pin in the 8 pin mini din socket?
There is no mention of it in the manual that I can find.

73 Nev
73 Nev  VK3LU
QF22rs
Hi Nev,

I haven't found that info anywhere but I have had to repair several FT817 where the supply was missing from the connector. The culprit was a dead teeny weeny SMD 0402 10 ohm resistor feeding the acc socket. Had to pull the board out to find it.

If I do the maths on a 10 ohm 1/16th W resistor I calculate you wouldn't want any more that 8mA running through it for any length of time.

If you're up to it I'd consider this mod http://vk4ghz.com/ft-817-12v-acc-mod/ as a way of protecting your rig. You could add a low value, low power resistor in series with the wire for a bit of extra protection.
Lou
VK3ALB

I'll decide how I enjoy my hobby.

Thanks Lou,
I was hoping it had a greater capacity than that!
I was thinking of using it to power an AH-4...Ah well, looks like an external source is the go. Probably safer.
You don't happen to know the current draw of an AH-4 do you? Icom say precious little about it other than less than 1 amp. Great help!

73 Nev
73 Nev  VK3LU
QF22rs
Hi Nev,

No idea about the AH-4 but you could always measure the current during a tune cycle. The tracks to the ACC socket in the '817 are pretty thin, good idea to power it separately.
Lou
VK3ALB

I'll decide how I enjoy my hobby.

The Icom brochure for the AH-4 states in the specs section that the current draw is less than 1A.

Read here - https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/dow...f/AH-4.pdf

They are a great unit in my opinion. I have been using one on my ~40m horizontally mounted loop attached to Icom transceivers and it does a fine job.

Regards
Bernard

Sorry, I did not read the other thread post first...you said it was 1A.
Hi Bernard,
I like the AH-4 too. I use it to match a 140ft dipole fed with open wire line. It's quick and gets the swr down to almost zero. It works seamlessly with my IC7300.
I am working out a way of using it with my FT817 for wspr. Just about got it figured.

73 Nev
73 Nev  VK3LU
QF22rs